4 сообщения в этой теме

I would like to talk about order of the words before nouns. Sometimes while speaking fast we use adjectives in not right places. So first of all let's discuss order of descriptive words.

Though the order of descriptive words is not completely fixed, words of origin and material usually come last. Words describing size, age, shape and colour come in the beginning in that order. 

size              age      shape         colour       origin        material             noun

a     fat                old                            white                                                        horse

a     small                        round           black                                 leather            sweather

an   enormous                                    brown         German           glass              mug

Поделиться сообщением

@armina, I wouldn't be so dogmatic. And you should not forget that in addition to the primary stress in English there is also the logical stress. It means that if you want to highlight a particular word in a sentence or a phrase, you can put it anywhere you want. Without violating the basic principles of English grammar, of course.

Поделиться сообщением

I also think that the order of adjectives of nouns is not so concrete and strongly established. At least in conversational style of English. So, sequence of words can be chosen more freely dependently of stress and meaning of every definite sentence.

Поделиться сообщением

@armina,

Using adjectives in right order is sometimes rather difficult. Fortunately, we seldom use a whole string of adjectives. Besides, a person can occasionally quirk. Unusual order can attract listener’s attention.

Поделиться сообщением

Ваша публикация должна быть проверена модератором

Гость
Вы не авторизованы. Если у вас есть аккаунт, пожалуйста, войдите.
Ответить в тему...

×   Вы вставили отформатированное содержимое.   Удалить форматирование

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Ваша ссылка была автоматически встроена.   Отобразить как ссылку

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor